I recently updated my Blog Software and some of the links from other sites may be broken. All the posts have been migrated. I’ve created redirectors of my old URLs to most of my popular posts, so hopefully there is little interruption.
Here’s a small list of quick links of some of my more popular posts:
Change the default way a user is displayed in the GAL and AD.
Add extra columns to Active Directory Users and Computers display
Creating a 2003 AD external trust through a firewall
Multithreaded ping sweeping in VB.NET 2005
If you don’t see the post you want, please use the search box at the top right to search for the post.
Sorry for any inconvenience.
Recently I struggled with adding a second disk (anything other than C:) to an ESX guest running Windows 2012. I could add the disk. I could see it in Disk Management, initialize the disk and format it. When I went to access it… Access Denied. Windows was unable to access the disk.
After much searching I seemed to remember a buddy of mine having this problem. Turns out it was the same. I searched my email and found the solution he sent me. Thanks Craig!
The cause is the HotAdd/HotPlug capability in ESXi. It had to be disabled. Once that was done, Windows could see the disk again.
Here’s the KB article from VMware: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012225
I don’t know why I didn’t switch years earlier. No offence to my old blog software, but I’m in awe of WordPress. It is so mature and simple to use. The features are amazing.
I took the plunge and decided to change my blogging software. I’ve been using BlogEngine.NET for the last 6 years and it has served me well. I originally chose BlogEngine.NET as I am a programmer and I was familiar with .NET and C#. If I wanted, I could customize my blog the way I like it. Other than tweaking some themes, that never happened.
I decided to switch to WordPress for some features and options that I wanted. It was also becoming arduous and time consuming doing the upgrade process with BlogEngine.NET. I still have to find a theme I like, but will most likely port my old theme.
Sorry the site was up and down for a few days. I was upgrading versions and had some issues. Hopefully all is stable once again.
It’s been a long time, but I finally updated the website to a newer version of BlogEngine.NET. I had to make a theme change as my custom theme wasn’t compatible.
I updated the Micecraft starter with an option to allow it to go into the system tray.
I updated the file on the main post with the latest version.
The other day when I was at work, my son accidently stopped his Spigot Minecraft server by issuing the wrong command from the Minecraft GUI (darn owner rights). Needless to say, he couldn’t use it until I got home and was able to fix it for him and his friends.
I decided to make my own starter app for it. Other apps like FireDaemon and SrvAny can do it, but I wanted to write my own. Free is good too as FireDaemon isn’t free. Works great for patching as I just patch the server and the starter will gracefully shut down the server and start it backup after the patching.
Features I have added to the starter:
- Graceful shutdown of Minecraft, Bukkit or Spigot (issues save-all and stop commands)
- Option to Auto start
- Option to Auto Restart – if shutdown accidently, or crashes hard, it will restart within 30 seconds.
- Option to minimize the starter to the system tray.
So I just have the server autologon with a limited account, then run the starter in the startup folder. Also make sure Java is in your path.
Anyhow, here’s the program written in .NET 4.0. If you need the .NET framework, you can download it here (opens in new window).
Hopefully someone else might find it useful. If you have any comments or suggestions. Let me know.
Here’s the link:
My random reboots are finally gone after the OS update from 10.1.0.273 to 10.1.0.4184. I’ve been running the latest OS for a few weeks now and it is solid.